Camp JORI, a nonprofit residential summer camp, seeks a hands-on, full-time, year-round, live-in/on-site Caretaker/Facilities Manager for its 72-acre facility on Worden’s Pond in South Kingstown, RI. Facilities include 22 residential buildings, a 500 seat Kosher dining room; 400 seat auditorium and sanctuary, and waterfront pavilion; boating, swimming, ropes course, hiking trails, tennis, and athletic facilities available for use.
Four things are central to success in this position:
- The ability to develop mutually respectful relationships with the camp leadership, coworkers, vendors, the local community, and the camp community;
- the skill and experience to take responsibility for the care and upkeep of the facility;
- the ability to know when and how to ask for help; and
- the ability to work in a safe manner and identify safety issues.
The primary responsibility of the Camp Caretaker/Facilities manager is to guarantee a safe, clean, and attractive environment for all users of the camp.
The Camp Caretaker/Facility Manager position has three core elements:
- Year-round oversight of the entire property, including execution of the preventative maintenance program;
- Supervision of outside vendors; contractors as necessary
- Hands-on maintenance of the facility.
The Camp Caretaker/Facilities Manager will report to the Camp Director and/or his/her designate. S/he will be expected to adhere to policies and operating procedures set forth by the Camp leadership, the State of Rhode Island, and the American Camp Association.
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Manage the operations of the camp in an orderly and efficient manner, keeping the grounds and facilities neat and attractive; providing year-round maintenance, and supervising all operational activities.
- Maintain records and inventories of Camp equipment and supplies, proactively manage the ordering of supplies and repair and/or replacement needs.
- Maintain and update records related to the Camp’s preventative maintenance program and in compliance with State and Federal record keeping requirements.
- Identify and proactively address safety, security and health hazards.
- Keep all buildings and furnishings safe, clean and in good repair.
- Ensure that all equipment is clean and in good working condition, properly stored and used only for intended purposes.
- Ensure that the grounds are well cared for, safe and attractive.
- Manage camp security, including being alert to who is coming onto the property both when programs are happening, and when they are not.
- Prepare the facility for rental groups, and make sure it is cleaned up after groups depart.
- The Camp Caretaker/Facilities Manager must be a good ambassador for the Camp at all times to the camp community, rental groups, the local community, vendors, etc.
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Demonstrated management and record keeping skills.
- Must be experienced in general maintenance duties – general carpentry, minor plumbing, minor electrical work, understanding of HVAC systems, pool & pool house, grounds keeping, and other general maintenance duties.
- Must have the ability to operate and maintain equipment.
- Must have effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License; additional certifications are desired.
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of the job.
- Must be willing to work irregular hours.
- Previous camp maintenance, facility/property management, or physical plant experience is desired.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Lifting and carrying up to 75 lbs.
- Stamina and willingness to work long hours, in inclement weather and for stretches of days.
Year-round, onsite housing including all utilities, plus $2,000 per month stipend and benefits package.
Interested applicants must send cover letter, resume and three references to Ricky Kodner, Director, email@example.com with “Caretaker Job” in the subject line.